Preventing varicose veins is not guaranteed. However, there are steps you can take to try and prevent them. While unsightly, varicose veins can lead to health issues and discomfort. These five steps are simple changes that will help keep your veins in their best shape.
- Exercise regularly. Walking and jogging will help improve circulation in the legs, and proper circulation helps to ward off the developments, as well as the worsening of varicose veins. Exercise also helps your overall well being, so enjoy a long walk!
- Avoid prolonged standing. Standing in one place for a long time increases pressure on your veins in the legs and feet. Over time, this pressure weakens the vessel walls, which in turn can lead to them collapsing. If prolonged standing is unavoidable at your job, mitigate the harm by shifting your position frequently, and try to walk around every 30 minutes.
- Sit properly. Sit up straight and don’t cross your legs. Crossing your legs can put pressure on your veins as well as cause a disruption in the flow of blood in your veins. Good posture also improved circulation!
- Maintain a healthy weight. Excess weight will put undue pressure and stress on your legs, and more importantly, your veins. Reducing weight will reduce the risks of varicose veins in many instances. Develop healthy eating habits and avoid foods with high calorie and low nutrition content.
- Quit smoking. Smoking contributes to a myriad of health issues, but if you need even one more reason, keep in mind that high blood pressure associated with smoking helps cause varicose veins.
These simple tips are easy to weave into your lifestyle and make them a part of your daily routine. We encourage you to live a healthy life in moderation, and doing these simple tricks will also help you to prevent varicose veins.