Wishing you and your families a wonderful and safe holiday!
From Dr. Merchant and Dr. Daake and our staff at Reno Vein Clinic.
It’s true! These blustery temperatures in Northern Nevada are the best time to prep your legs and get them ready for Spring and Summer! If you’ve been wanting to rid your legs of troublesome varicose and spider veins, now’s the ideal time to do so!
Varicose vein and spider vein treatments can eliminate veins that create bulging and twisting lines in the lower body – and relieve common symptoms like: pain, aching, fatigue, swelling, leg heaviness, burning, and itching.
Both varicose veins and spider veins are cause by venous insufficiency which is this backward flow of blood that occurs when the tiny valves inside veins which keep the blood flowing in a certain direction, are damaged, and wear out, allowing blood to collect inside the affected area. The result? Major swelling of the vessels, which can often be seen on the outside of the legs. If unchecked this can result in tissue damage, as well as damage to the surrounding blood vessels. Skin changes, like discoloration and thickening will most often occur and all of this can be extremely painful.
At Reno Vein Clinic, we offer some of the most advanced and state-of-the-art treatments available including Sclerotherapy and Radiofrequency Closure. All are minimally invasive and require minimal downtime and recovery.
Here are a few more reasons why wintertime is truly the best time for varicose and spider vein treatment.
– Wearing seasonally appropriate long pants and tights will hide the mild bruising/swelling that comes from vein treatment.
– It is more comfortable to wear compression stockings and conceal them in the cooler months.
– While wearing winter clothes, affected, treated areas are unlikely to be exposed to sunlight, which can cause discoloration during the time of treatment.
– More time to see the results is provided, since warmer weather is still a few months away.
There really is no better time to get rid if your varicose and spider veins and get your legs looking the way you want them to! Contact us at Reno Vein Clinic for more information! (775) 329-3100.
There are actually many misconceptions about varicose and spider veins. Here are some of the most common:
1. Crossing your legs doesn’t cause varicose veins. Neither does wearing high heels. The pooling of blood is actually more commonly caused by prolonged standing and/or sitting. Other notable causes: obesity, smoking, lack of exercise and hormonal birth control.
2. They’re not just a cosmetic problem. Probably the most common misconception about varicose veins is that people only get them treated because they’re, well, vain. Though experts agree that varicose veins are most often not a health issue, they shouldn’t be ignored. Varicose veins cause fatigue of the legs, swelling and general discomfort. They can also be a warning of long term health risks including: deep vein thrombosis, blood clots, poor circulation and leg swelling,.
3. It’s definitely genetic, but don’t be too quick to blame one parent or the other. You can inherit the tendencies from either, or both sides of the family, and it can even skip a generation.
4. Varicose veins and spider veins aren’t the same thing.
Spider veins are:
Varicose veins are:
5. There’s no proven way to reduce the appearance (aside from professional treatment), though some patients use makeup to cover up their prominent veins. But you can ease the painful symptoms. One temporary solution: Compression stockings or pantyhose
6. Treatment is better than ever, so that’s good news is that treatment today is quite advanced. There are no scars, no cutting—very minimal recovery. And it is all offered at Reno Vein Clinic.
Call us at 775-329-3100 to schedule a consultation. Our procedures are done in an office setting, away from the hospital and with no need for general anesthesia.
Article adapted via